About Langdon

Town Government and Departments

Meeting Minutes & Reports

Forms, Codes & Applications

Town Profile


Civic Organizations

Send Comments




Business Information for the Town Clerk's Office

The information provided on this site is for the convenience of the user and is provided as a service to the public. the following is a compilation of information provided by the various state and federal agencies. the town makes no warranty, expressed or implied as the accuracy, completeness, suitability or reliability of the information. If you have questions contact us 603-835-2389.

Motor Vehicles

Registration Renewals: Registrants must present their previously issued registration at the time of renewal. This must be done for each vehicle registration being renewed.

New Registrations: For vehicles with a model year of 1995 or older, registrants must provide, in addition to the bill of sale, one of the following documents (RSA 262:2-a):

a. Previously issued New Hampshire Registration
b. Valid Out of State Title
c. Verification of VIN (Form 19A, available in the office)

At the time of the registration, please make sure that all paperwork has been appropriately filled out. It is particularly important that both the buyer and the seller sign the back of the title, if applicable. The seller must also sign the Bill of Sale

Transfers: In addition to the title and any other applicable paperwork, registrants must provide the current registration of the vehicle that they are transferring the license plates from. Transfers CANNOT be completed without this paperwork. If you have lost or misplaced your registration, you may obtain a copy by completing a form in the office (Application for Copy of Registration – DSMV 106) and paying the subsequent $15 fee.

Titles: Please refer to the Title Bureau’s Web page for answers to frequently asked questions. Click Here

Boats and OHRVs: The town office does not register these vehicles. Boats may be registered at their marina or through the Department of Safety. OHRVs may be registered through the New Hampshire Fish & Game Department or through any NH OHRV Agent. See List

Inspections: Vehicles must be inspected within ten (10) days of registrations. You may obtain an inspection at any authorized facility displaying an Official New Hampshire Inspection Station Sign.

New Hampshire Department of Safety: Please visit the state site for more information on hours of operation for substations and other frequently asked questions. http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/faq.html

Dog Licenses

Regardless of when the license is obtained, the license shall be effective from:

May 1 of each year to April 30 of the subsequent year.

All dogs 4 months and older must be licensed.

Forms REQUIRED: Rabies Certificate, Spaying or Neutering Certificate.

2012 License fees:

Altered Animal


Unaltered Male or Female


Senior Citizen Owner (first dog only)


Group License (5 or more dogs same owner)


Late Fee per Month


Civil Forfeiture-Unlicensed Dog


ALL dogs must be registered by April 30, 2012. Late fees apply beginning June 1st.

466:1 Procuring License; Tag. – Every owner or keeper of a dog 4 months old or over shall annually, cause it to be registered, numbered, described, and licensed for one year in the office of the clerk of the city or town in which the dog is kept, and shall cause it to wear around its neck a collar to which shall be attached a metal tag with the following information thereon: the name of the city or town, year of issue of license and its registered number. The tag and license shall be furnished by the clerk at the expense of the city or town.

466:7 Additional Charge Where Payment of License Fee is Delayed. – In addition to the license fees provided in RSA 466:4, there shall be a charge of $1 for each month or any part thereof that the fees remain unpaid if said fees are not paid before June 1 in any year.

466:13 Forfeiture. – Whoever is the owner or keeper of a dog and who fails to license or renew the dog license pursuant to RSA 466:1 shall forfeit $25 to the town or city clerk of the municipality in which the dog is kept. If the forfeiture is not made to the town or city clerk within 15 calendar days of the notice of forfeiture, the case may be disposed of in a district court as a violation with a fine not to exceed $50, notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 651:2, IV. A Forfeiture shall not relieve the owner or keeper of the requirement of proper licensing of the dog as required by RSA 466:1.

Vital Records

New Hampshire vital records are considered to be private and thus access to them is restricted by statute to individuals with a “direct and tangible interest” in the record. Certain older records are exempt from these access restrictions.

The current fee for a certified copy of a vital record is $12. This fee is payable whether or not a record is found. Subsequent copies of the same record cost $8.00. Individuals requesting a certified copy of a vital record must present positive identification including, but not limited to, a driver’s license, passport or other picture identification, or in the absence of acceptable photo identification shall complete the form Documentation Evidence for Individuals Not Possessing An Acceptable Picture Identification.

For additional information about vital records, including the procedure for obtaining birth, death and marriage records, please visit the Department of State Vital Records Administration.

Marriage License

If you are getting married and want to obtain a marriage license, remember that the soon to be wedded couple need to come together to the Town Clerk’s office. It takes approximately 1 hour to process. There is a 90-day expiration date on each license. The license is valid in any New Hampshire city or town. If the marriage takes place in another state, you must contact the location where the marriage will take place for state regulations. Regulations vary by state. Browse New Hampshire Marriage Laws for general information. The State of New Hampshire does not require a blood test. For additional information on New Hampshire statutes visit Marriages

Necessary Documentation & Information

• Proof of age/picture ID
• a certified copy of the death certificate of a former spouse, if the applicant is widowed;
• a certified copy of the divorce decree, if the applicant is divorced; and/or
• a certified copy of annulment, if the applicant’s previous marriage was annulled.
• The bride and groom both need to provide the following information:

Full Name
Social Security Number
Years of Education
Date of Birth
State of Birth
Father's Full Name and State of Birth
Mother's Full Name (Maiden) and State of Birth

The cost of a marriage license is $45.00. See “After the Ceremony” for the fees for certified copies of the marriage certificate.

After the Ceremony

Once the officiate has filed the license with this office after the ceremony, certified copies of the marriage certificate are available for $12.00 for the first one and $8.00 for subsequent copies issued at the same time. These copies are not automatically generated, the bride or groom must return to the Town Clerk’s office to apply for the certified copy. If name changes are preferred after the wedding, you should present certified copies of the marriage certificate to any agency where the name changes are to be recorded (DMV, Social Security Office, etc.). The Town Clerk's office can provide certified copies of marriage certificates for marriages that occurred in Langdon, NH as well as for marriages that occurred in any city or town in the State of NH after 1990.


Marriage records are considered private and confidential, with access limited to those individuals who have a "direct and tangible" interest in the record. The only exceptions are marriage records prior to 1948, which are considered public and are open to the public.

The registrant, a member of his/her immediate family, or a representative, may only obtain copies of marriage records with a "direct and tangible interest" such as an attorney. In order to determine if the "legal representative" may have access to the record, the direct and tangible interest must be listed in any written correspondence with a copy of such legal document being provided.

Birth Records

The Langdon Town Clerk's office provides certified copies of birth records to immediate family members for births that occurred in Langdon, NH as well as for births that occurred in any city or town in the State of NH after 1988.

• $12.00 – First copy/Search
• $8.00 – Each additional copy issued at the same time on the same record

Death Certificates

The Town Clerk's office provides certified copies of death certificates to immediate family members for deaths that occurred in Langdon, NH as well as for deaths that occurred in any city or town in the State of NH after 1990.
• $12.00 – First copy/Search
• $8.00 – Each additional copy issued at the same time on the same record.

Divorce Certificates

As of January 8, 2007, divorce records from 1990 to within 6 months from the present search date are available at the Town Clerk’s office, otherwise, go to the court where the event occurred. A certified copy costs $12.00 for the first copy and $8.00 for each additional copy requested at the same time. You will need to show proof of identity such as a driver’s license.

Divorce records are considered closed records. According to New Hampshire law “the applicant must have a direct and tangible interest in the requested record.” You must be a member of the immediate family, guardian or legal representative. “Effective January 1, 2005 all individuals requesting a certified copy of a record (Pursuant to RSA 5 C-16) must present positive identification.”

Voter Registration
New Hampshire residents who will be 18 years of age or older on election day, and a United States Citizen, may register with the town or city clerk where they live up to 10 days before any election. The clerk’s office is open on Tuesday from 9 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. You may also register on Election Day at the polling place. The town clerk's office can inform voters of what proof of qualification they should bring to register but generally you will need a photo ID and two pieces of mail with a Langdon physical address (not a PO Box). If you are a naturalized citizen, please bring in your naturalization papers with the name of court and date naturalized or a US Passport. The registration form must be completed at the Town Clerk’s office or at a Supervisors of the Checklist session or on the day of an election at the polls.
There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register. You may register as soon as you move into your new community.
How to Register to vote
1) Apply to your town or city clerk's office. You will be required to fill out a standard voter registration form and will be required to show proof of age, citizenship and domicile.
2) It may be easier for you to register with your community's Supervisors of the Checklist. By law they are required to meet on the Saturday 10 days prior to each election. Check the local newspaper(s) or call your clerk's office for the date and time of such meeting.
3) Qualified individuals may also register to vote at the polling place on election day at all elections. You will be asked to show proof of age, citizenship, and domicile.

Absentee Ballots

To obtain an absentee ballot you must be on the voter checklist and complete an application. The absentee ballot application must be signed by the voter and include a mailing and Langdon physical address, if different. Applications can be picked up at the Town Clerk’s office or you can mail a request that includes the above information.

After the application is completed, the ballot will be mailed or handed to the voter. Nobody can pick a ballot up for another person. The completed ballot can be mailed to the Town Clerk’s office or brought back by the applicant. Absentee ballots will be accepted in person until 5:00pm the night before an election or by mail on election day.

For complete New Hampshire voting information go to www.sos.nh.gov/vote.htm 

Helpful Links

NH Division of Safety - Department of Motor Vehicles
NH Department of Revenue Administration
NH Fish and Game Department
NH Division of Vital Records Administration
NH Secretary of State Election Division

Sullivan County Registry of Deeds

NH Bureau of Vital Records & Health Statistics

Town of Langdon, 122, Rte 12 A, Langdon, NH 03602 Langdon@langdonnh.org Ph 603-835-2389 Fax 835-6055

Send Comments or contact us here.

Administration sign in.

Website Creation, Hosting and Maintenance by Granite State Webs